Minutes of the Board of Directors Meeting
of the San Clemente Men's Golf Club
Tuesday March 14,th, 2020
Pride of the Pacific Restaurant
150 Avenida Magdalena, San Clemente, California
CALL TO ORDER:
President Kurt Luebke called the meeting to order at 4:04 pm in the banquet hall of Wedgewood Restaurant..
| President Kurt Luebke
|| David Hamdorf - 1st Vice President
| Steve Crowly - Handicap Chairman
|| Steve Rose - Secretary
| Ed Pernal - Director of Rules
|| Jeff Remmele - Saturday Tournament Director
| Frank Schneider - Membership Chairman
|| Nick Azzolini - Greens, Past President
| Jeff Hooper - Treasurer
|| Derek Duesler - Director at Large
| Aaron Washington - Handicap Committeeman
MINUTES OF THE JANUARY MEETING:
MOTION: There was a motion made by Kurt and seconded by Nick to approve the minutes. The Minutes from the previous meeting were approved.
TREASURER'S REPORT ( Jeff Hooper )
Kurt for Jeff
Report as of February 1, 2019:
- Checking account balance as of 1/31/2020 = $35,373.24
- Savings account balance as of 12/31/2019 = $2,003
- Total Income for the month of February = $0.00
- Total Expenses for the month of December = $3,786.52
- Net Profit/(Loss) for December = ($3,786.52)
See attached treasurers report.
MOTION: There was a motion made by Ed and seconded by Nick to approve the Treasurer's report. The report was approved. The report was approved.
HANDICAP REPORT (Steve Crowly)
RULES (Ed Pernal):
MEMBERSHIP REPORT (Frank Schneider)
- Dave and Frank shared that we are now at 715 members with 186 associate members included in that total.
- Dave mentioned that roughly 15 associate members have signed up already for the Saturday tournament.
GREENS REPORT (Nick Azzollini):
- Aerated twelve holes so far and will try and complete the rest by Friday (delayed by rain).
- The sixth tee box has work nearby on the cell tower
REPORT OF CITY GOLF ADVISORY COMMITTEE MEETING (Nick Azzolini)
- At the Golf Committee meeting, it was mentioned that there will likely be an across-the-board $2 green fee increase. (There hasn't been an increase since 2014.)
- The restaurant will be transitioning to a limited menu for breakfast, such as breakfast burritos, etc.
- There has been no further discussion about building some sort of Wedgewood office at the front of the building near the putting green.
- Nick also mentioned that Chris Eldridge had asked if anybody wanted to volunteer at Torrey Pines for the upcoming US Open there. Kurt mentioned that he would send out the information to the general membership.
WEDNESDAY TOURNAMENT (Kurt Luebke)
$1,630 paid out (56 of 108 players, or 52%)
See attached report.
FRIDAY TOURNAMENT (David Hamdorf)
February 21, 2-Man Scramble 105 players.
$1,589 paid out (51 of 105 players, or 49%)
See Attached report.
SATURDAY TOURNAMENT (Jeff Remmele)
Upcoming on March 14th.
- Kurt spoke with Vinnie regarding the anchoring of the new benches at the driving range. He gave the OK to anchor the three benches (away from the surfboard bench). Vinnie suggested we ask Dave Cook for more information about the actual people/process for doing that.
- Nick mentioned that were was one possible female candidate and possibly two male candidates the Alan Cook Memorial Scholarships at San Clemente High School. Nick has provided the information to the High School and we will await their applications.
- Steve R. shared that the Board is now covered for Directors' and Officers', Liability and Medical/Injury (during tournaments).
- Kurt raised the topic of following up on the actual process to modify the by-laws to allow for free membership into the Club for those 90 years of age or older. We currently believe that this can be approved at the next General Meeting (in December). Nick and Derek volunteered to review the by-laws in general for updating. Ed suggested that Frank update the portion relating to membership. Kurt suggested that the review team meet at 3:00 pm before the normal monthly Board meeting.
- Dave suggested that associate members do not have voting rights.
- South County Cup (April 25th & 26th) financial support: There was a meeting last month represented by all four participating courses.
- We are the hosts this year and the charge per player was decided at $95/player which includes green fees, cart, range balls, hosted food and drinks.
- Vinnie has mentioned that there has been some pushback from some potential players. Kurt mentioned that it might be able to be reduced to $80 (as an FYI, Shorecliffs charged $60 last year).
- It was decided that the Club would subsidize the cost by having SCMGC members pay $40 (and the Club would subsidize the other $40) while the three other participating club members would pay $80.
- The President/Tournament Director of the Orange County Men's Club approached local clubs about a tournament at Arrowood on Sunday, June 28th ($85/player). Kurt had forwarded more detailed information via e-mail earlier in the week. The commitment now would be $25/team. Kurt asked if anyone had interest in this or if we should open this up to the general membership. Kurt said he would follow-up with the Director with some more questions before we decide on further action.
- Derek suggested that we possibly implement a drop area on the right side of the 16th fairway, roughly 50-100 yards short of the green. Ed will take a look at the area and provide his thoughts.
MOTION: There being no further business a motion to adjourn was made by Frank, seconded by Steve R. at 4:50 pm. Motion passed.
Next meeting April 14th, 2020.
MINUTES FROM PAST MEETINGS